Thursday, October 1, 2009

MOM IS COMING HOME!!!

Mom/Emma is coming home today! The nurses, doctors and staff at Kaiser Morse Ave have been amazing in taking wonderful care of Mom, explaining so many things to all of us (Mom and her family), and making it possible to have Mom come home as quickly as possible. We are so very grateful to them!


I'm not sure exactly how all this will happen today - we don't usually get to practice this kind of stuff in our lives - but we expect that the medical equipment will be delivered this morning and that Mom will arrive at home sometime this afternoon. I expect that she will be tired from the travel and not sure how ready she'll be for visitors. We're playing a lot of this by ear...



We are bringing Mom home so she can enjoy as much time with family and friends as possible. We WANT and encourage her friends to visit. However, I know you will also understand if you call or come by and we tell you that it isn't a great time...we will appreciate your patience, love and prayers!



We really can't have the phones ringing off the hook - we need to spend our time caring for Mom and taking care of so many things that need attention. We have set up a couple of ways for you to contact us:



Reaka - my youngest sister - will receive phone calls on her cell phone at: 408-710-1036. She may not answer every call immediately, but she will respond via return call or text. She will be in town Fri morning (Oct 2) and we would appreciate it if you contact her between Fri-Sun to see if it will be a good time to visit. Mom's family will be in town during that time and we will appreciate being able to have as much of that time available for our family as possible.
Mom's grandchildren will only have this last short time to be with her.



Thurs afternoon and evening, Fri morning (Oct 1 & 2) - before all the famly arrives - we will encourage friends to drop by. On Thur, you can call Mom's home directly - again we may not answer immediately but if you leave a message, we will get back to you. Or - if you would like to just drop by, you are welcome to do that but please understand that Mom may be sleeping - she drifts in and out all the time.



Visits do need to be brief - please. And - if you have even a little touch of 'something' and are under the weather (or just plain sick!) - please send Mom an email, card or ....something - but we need you to keep your germs home, please...;)! We don't want to complicate Mom's situation with anything else and our own family needs to stay healthy while we're taking care of her.



Mom IS very weak - but we are bringing her home so family and friends CAN come. She loves her friends so much and we don't want to discourage you coming by...please do!



If you can't come by but would like to share a message for Mom, a story or memory of an experience you've had with Mom and/or a photo - you're welcome - and encouraged! - to send an email to me at: shenna@bmealey.com or directly to the blog (my first choice since it will save me some time!). We will share those with Mom, and Dad and our family will appreciate having your thoughts to read and enjoy in the future. I will post all comments and messages I receive concerning Mom also on the blog - if you send me an email and would prefer that it be kept private - please let me know and I'll respect that wish.



I don't want to sound alarming - but there really isn't much time....if you want to be in touch with Mom - I really encourage you to not procrastinate a long time....I will try to post on the blog each day - so you can know what is currently going on. I will also try to get a blog posted in the next day or two that will explain more about how this all began and what Mom has been going through. We also want to share some of the amazing and humorous things that Mom is sharing with us during this time. Thank you for your patience, love and support!



Our family is so blessed and strengthened by our faith in our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and our knowledge that we can be together again with those we love after we die...also by our love for each other, by the example Mom is for us and by the many wonderful friendships we all enjoy...thank you for being part of that.

11 comments:

  1. Emma - With fondness and respect I send you my message. What a noble decision you have made at what seems to be the end of your time here on earth, with a new path to take afterward. I will always remember your bubbly personality, your generosity toward others, your enormous talent, your love for your family and of course, your wonderful and colorful shoe collection. We have known each other for many years, our threads are intertwined. Enjoy your time with you family and close friends. Louise Thompson Schiele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma and Ted, Now that I am far away, I often think of the fun gatherings at your home for FHE, as well as the quilting group meetings. Emma, I just heard about your diagnosis and my heart goes out to you and your family. It sounds like you are handling it well though and I wish you peace and joy as you approach this wonderful journey. I send my love and prayers to both of you.
    Linda Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,
    I'm thinking of you and hoping that your time with your family is filled with love and closeness. The best gift to each other may be to leave nothing unsaid and have no regrets. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Kate Themel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma, I learned of your illness through Deb and Kris and SAQA. I just wanted to tell you how much I respect and admire you, your talent, and of course, your lovely quilts.

    Please know that prayers and thoughts of comfort and peace are being sent to you by all your quilting and SAQA friends.
    Hugs from Carla Barrett
    http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, I will never forget about a year or two ago you taught binding at Folsom Guild during membership demonstration. I was so impressed with your narrow binding.

    Families are great!!! Enjoy being with your family this week-end and you and your family are in my prayers. Love to you all.
    Sharon Markwardt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma, I want to thank you for all your support of Kris and me. I'm sure all your guilds tired of you telling them that Pixeladies printed this photo and that drawing when you would show off your latest quilt. We would jokingly tell you that we would "pay you later" for all your advertising. But, in truth, you will never know how much your kind words meant to us.
    To have you in our SAQA carpool for these past years has been wonderful. The stories of your family, pointing out "Ted's signs" and your colorful creations with matching shoes are only some of the things I remember.
    Thanks, too, for all you have done for the sewing community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know this is very difficult to say anything. How do you share in such a short space a life time of shared fun, learning, happiness, sadness and peace. I remember the family times together in Utah, Wyoming, Sacramento and here in So Cal. We come from a very talented and blessed family. You have always been an example in my life and I am glad that you are part of my family.
    Love Maryorie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister, Kim (Seymour) Summers sent your email on to me, Shenna. Thanks for trying to let us all know. I am so sad... I wish I lived nearby to visit Emma. I have memories of her and Ted that go clear back to Del Paso Heights Ward as a very young couple. I loved and admired them then - and that has only grown through the years. An icon is passing - and leaving a great legacy. Thank you for all you have meant to me and my parents while they were living. So many fantastic memories! Back-packing isn't one of them...I remember Ted and the girls, but I think Emma cared for reality too much to enjoy that! Please take care - I will follow this silently now, but my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Love, Gay (Seymour) Jamieson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma, I feel so honored to have known you & to have had the pleasure to create some fabric for you on your latest guild challenge. I just wish I'd had more time to learn from you, learn your marvelous quilting skills, learn your artist skills for putting together your amazing wearable art ensembles, and most of all to learn how you've always kept such a young spirit in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emma - I think of you in funkie clothes and crazy shoes - I have always appreciated your wonderful sense of humor and delightful approach to life. I am blessed to know you and consider you a wonderfuk role model for all the women in your life. Thank you for being YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emma,

    I shall remember you for many things. For years I have been in awe of your enormous quilting/creating skills. I'll remember you for your bead work, your colorful clothes and fanciful shoes. But mostly I will remember you for your inner kindness that always showed through.

    ReplyDelete

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.