Sunday, October 4, 2009

A memory about Emma

The day I burned my wedding dress and Emma came to my rescue.  By Mildred (Millie) Hipwell La Moure
 
Clif and I were married in the Logan Temple on June 28, 1957.  I had made my wedding dress out of lovely cutwork embroidered  organdy.  As a final touch I had put a pleated nylon trim around the neckline.  Even if I do say so myself the dress turned out beautifully.  The day before our wedding in the temple I was at my parent's home taking care of some last minute details.  Emma was there also in case I needed any help.  I decided to give my wedding dress a light pressing and in the process I accidently touched the nylon trim with the iron.   It suddenly burned a hole in my dress.  What was I to do?  I had nothing available I thought to repair it at this late date.   Emma seeing what had happened quickly gathered my dress in her arms and said, "I'll fix it", and she did just that.  Emma cut a strip of the nylon tulle from the bottom of my wedding veil.  She then made a pleated piece to match the rest of the trim and carefullly sewed it onto the neckline to replace the burned part.  It looked great when she was finished.  The most important dress I would ever wear in my life had been saved through my sister's creative expertise in sewing.  This may be a small gesture to some but to me it saved the day and my wedding dress. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.