Wednesday, October 7, 2009

From Rhonda Barrett

MEMORIES OF MY FRIEND EMMA
 
Ten years of friendship with dearest Emma was not enough.  While I am comforted knowing she is no longer in pain and is at peace, I know I will miss her very much.
 
Grateful, am I that Emma lived in Fair Oaks and I could travel with her to our Gypsy meetings.  During our trips I learned so much about this incredible person, her loving family and the amazing relationship she had with her adoring Ted. 
 
We always talked about our wonderful families and friends, but our conversations would quickly turn to our mutual love of clothing and the joy we experienced putting on our different fashion shows.  Emma's fashion shows were put together in a moments notice.  With plastic bins in tow, Emma would fascinate every group with the most exquisitely beautiful wearable art.  Each outfit came with accessories and an amazing story.  I took mental notes when modeling for Emma, hoping to capture her precise technique and professional presentations.  But, I could never give a performance like Emma; she could assemble her clothing in the most compact manner, pluck models out of an audience, regale an audience for hours without notes, and give several shows a month while I could only hope to organize one show in less than a few months. I had to be content with admiration for her as I realized I could never emulate her. 
 
I was very honored when Emma would call on me for help with an activity.  I especially loved the opportunity to dress Emma and two of her dear friends in my vintage clothing.  The soft peach, 20's era, lace dress and hat Emma chose highlighted her inner and outer beauty.  With her lovely blonde hair I remember thinking she looked like an Angel.  I had never had someone wear the dress Emma chose and shall never again find someone to wear it so elegantly.
 
So thankful am I that my family had an opportunity to know Emma and Ted.  After meeting them my family always understood when I referred to these two wonderful people.  They remain outstanding examples of kindness, neighborliness, generosity and sweetness. Their love for one another and their special ability to enjoy a full life inspired my family.  Our home is graced with a portrait of our children, painted by Ted and supervised by Emma.
 
I am forever grateful for having Emma call me her friend.  A gift I will treasure the rest of my life.
 
With Love,
Rhonda Barrett 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.