Friday, October 16, 2009

If we study the Scriptures - Tears of Gratitude

Friday, October 16, 2009
 
    At Dad's request, Shenna and I have spent this past week sorting through specific areas in the home to simplify things for Dad. 
    Yesterday Shenna came across a large number of scriptures that haven't been used lately but may have some significance for our family.  One book of scriptures is a Quad (Holy Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants & Pearl of Great Price) that belonged to Ted & Judy Allebes (Dad's parents). 
    This morning I asked Dad if he'd like to use them or if he'd like me to put them aside where we're gathering significant items for later family distribution.  Dad asked me if there were any notes written by either his mother or father that we can learn from.
    I found the following written by Oma (Dad's mother Judy) in the back of the scriptures on one of the empty pages:
 
    If we study the Scriptures
    1 The distance narrows between Self and Heavenly Father.
    2 Our spirituality shines brighter.
    3 We love more intensely those when we should love.
    4 It is much easier to follow council.
    5 Lessons of life are learned more readily and surely.
    6 We will find our answers.
 
    I'm grateful for those notes written many years ago.  They will remind me to make reading the scriptures a priority which will make me a better person.
    What does this have to do with Mom?  Even though she had A LOT of things (we've discovered a mug collection that we hadn't been prepared for), I'm grateful that mom recognized the importance of keeping items of significance for us to later be blessed by.  We've come across mother's day cards that we made when we were children.  One of them includes a poem that I wrote.  We (Shenna, Reaka & I) laughed about it for quite a while as I reread it out loud many times.  There are also several lovely cards that Dad created for Mom. 
    This week with Shenna and my father has been physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting but it's also been joyful.  As we talked about some practical financial matters last night, Dad once again expressed his gratitude for all the support that he has received.  Dad said, "I want you to know that the only tears that I have shed are tears of gratitude."   I feel tears in my eyes typing this but I also can say that they are tears of gratitude.  Gratitude for a loving Heavenly Father, for my savior Jesus Christ, for being raised in a uniquely inspiring family, having a wonderful husband and three amazing daughters, many good friends, and the list goes on.  At this time I'm particularly grateful that I've been able to be here during my mother's last time on earth, with extended family and friends that gathered to commemorate mom's life, and this last week. 
    I expect there will be many wonderful times ahead, inevitable challenges also, and I hope to better live my life so that I will be as ready as my mother was my earthly days have ended.
 
    Heather Allebes Phillips (middle daughter) - phillipsabq@gmail.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.