Friday, October 2, 2009

MOM IS HOME!

Mom is home!

Thursday was a long day for Mom. During the morning and while still at the hospital – she was anxious to BE home and kept wondering when that would happen. The staff at Kaiser have been so amazing and supportive – I was impressed and grateful with how quickly everything was taken care of.

I had to run an errand for the nurses to the Pharmacy and that took me about 40 minutes. When I returned – Mom told me about enjoying several visitors that had come. I found that surprising and I asked the nurses about the visitors – they didn’t recall seeing anyone come to her room. Her friend, Aileen Kelly who plays the harp – asked a fellow harpist (Elizabeth) to come with her harp and play for Mom at the hospital. That was during the time when Mom was feeling especially anxious about wanting to be home. The music calmed Mom and she relaxed and fell asleep – nice and soundly for a little while. Another Tender Mercy! So – those that actually DO visit, and those friends that she is seeing and remembering in her mind – are all blessings to her and our family.

Her mind is still very alert and she’s still giving us ‘to do’ lists! Mom likes to watch TV while she is in her sewing studio. She kind of ‘follows’ the soap opera “All My Children”. I turned that on yesterday while we were waiting in the hospital to help keep her mind off wondering when she would get to go home. She was telling me all about the plot, who was the good guy and bad guy and who was a really bad lady that killed someone’s brother and someone else was the son of the guy that was killed and someone else was being accused of that murder….she still has all her marbles!

After being transported home, Mom was tired (and a little stressed from the trip) the rest of the day. We had arranged a place for her hospital bed in the family room – where she can see what is going on, look out at Dad’s beautiful garden, enjoy her birdhouses in the backyard and we can watch her and visit with her when she is alert. We had rearranged a few things to make room for her and once she was settled – she had Heather and I busy rearranging them more to her taste! She insisted that we put her ‘Pearly’ outfit right at the end of her bed and up high enough that she can see it any time. She’s still Emma!

She has enjoyed the visitors – and so has Dad. It means a lot to all of us that so many of Mom’s friends want to tell her they love her….both in person, with cards, and through comments on this blog. She’s NOT real talkative right now...WOW – that’s a first! – but she’s so glad to see her friends! Her favorite treats right now are ice chips and chocolate.

Hospice came yesterday also and has arranged to have 24 hour care for Mom in her home. We have hospice coming today for the first shift – the round the clock care should begin tomorrow. We are so grateful for that service! My sisters and I are happy to take care of Mom, but it requires so much time and energy and is so very different from what we are used to – that we are already feeling the exhaustion setting in. There are also a lot of other matters that we need to take care of at this time. And we want Dad to be as relaxed as possible about how Mom is being cared for….we all have great confidence in the professionals! More blessings….

Mom & Dad’s home is now a sacred place….full of love, memories and tenderness. Dad & Mom have always thought of their home as ‘a little piece of Heaven on Earth’…it truly is right now.

3 comments:

  1. MEMORIES OF EMMA
    by Dianna Greer Bybee


    My memories of Emma Allebes span nearly 40 years since I was a young teenager growing up in Fair Oaks, CA. Many of my fondest recollections center around the Allebes home on Sunset Avenue. Emma’s home was just around the corner from where I lived. I recall turning into the driveway, then the sound and feel of gravel scattering beneath my feet or tires as I approached.

    I spent many happy hours visiting with Shenna, one of my closest friends, and her family. Emma always made me feel comfortable and welcome. Emma’s home was so fascinating! I loved to visit the studio behind the Master bedroom to see the latest creations Emma or the girls were working on—quilts, dolls, wall hangings, clothing…

    To me the Allebes home was as exciting as any museum! Between Ted’s beautiful art work and Emma’s imaginative crafts, there was always something new to enjoy. I especially loved the arrangement on the dining room wall. And the measuring wall was fun to search—I prided myself in having a spot on it! Through the years I often brought visiting friends and relatives over to Emma’s to tour the works of art displayed throughout the house.

    I am a “food person” so some of my warm remembrances are of food in the Allebes home. It was thrilling when the ‘Dutch Man’ came by. I prized the yummy ginger cookies and other treats. The Christmas Eve open houses at Emma’s were always a favorite! I also liked eating “Hutspot” and will forever remember Shenna’s unique Scandinavian wedding ring cake. When I finger through my recipe box I sometimes see “Tiajuana Torte by Emma Allebes.” It was something I loved as a teen and make even now as an adult. I think of Emma and it makes me smile.

    When I think about Emma I think of a fine seamstress. I think of Christmas trees displayed until Valentine’s Day, and wearable art. It goes without saying that Emma is brilliantly creative. But more than that she is a kind, lovely woman. Emma is also lots of fun! I can hear her warm laugh even now! She is a great conversationalist and is so interesting to talk to. Although she has been one of the busiest women I have known, she always takes time to visit with her friends. When I come to town, she is always warm and interested in what I am doing.

    Knowing Emma has added color and spice to my life. I feel blessed to have associated with her and I am privileged to call her my friend.

    I love you Emma. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    With love,

    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenna, please give your Mom my love. I have always adored her, talking with her, and looking at her work. Last year at the Quilt Show, she and Ellen Garner saved a place at a round table so I could sit with them during the fashion show. I felt honored by her friendship then, as always. Give her a hug for me, will you? The Network for Wearable Art members are grateful to have the link to your blog. She has inspired countless numbers of people from her goodness and from her artistry. With much love, Viktorya Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers during this time. Hospice is truly a wonderful program with the most caring people. Judy Cleveland

    ReplyDelete

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.