Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thank you, Emma!

Dear Family and Friends of Emma,

I send my heartfelt sympathies to you for the loss of your beloved Emma.  You don’t know me and neither did Emma, but she had a profound impact on my life. I felt compelled to let you know how one person in a brief encounter can affect so many people.

 

I was lucky enough to be on jury duty with Emma for a day or two back in the 1970’s when I was in my early 20’s.  To pass the time, Emma was quilting (of course!).  She took the time to show and explain to me what she was doing and I was hooked.  I never saw her after that but always remembered her name for she created or released in me a lifelong love of quilts and quilting.  I am eternally grateful to her for that brief time we spent together. 

 

And just as a pebble in the water casts out so many rippling circles, Emma’s circle spread wide.  After I learned to quilt, I would frequently quilt on my breaks at work.  This caught the attention of a co-worker, Lindy Mundy.  Again the lure of quilting grew and for Lindy it grew in a big way.  Early in her career she started a quilt store and has been in the quilting business ever since.  She is the current owner of Bearpaws and Hollyhocks Quilt shop in Sacramento.  You can only guess at how many people have been affected and blessed by Emma’s initial quilting lesson given to me that day on jury duty. 

 

Thank you, Emma!  Your legacy will always live in my heart!

Warmly,

Pam Parker

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.