Sunday, October 4, 2009

Emma made me a dress.

Emma and Ted always did what they thought best, no matter how hard the challenge. One of the things they did was take me into their home when it got too rough for me at mine.

Yesterday when she opened her eyes on my visit, and I could see the twinkle in them upon seeing me, I was so pleased. She knew I was there and doing what I could to help. Quite honestly when I was her foster daughter I never realized the effort I took and how she did extras and did things for me that perhaps, she would not even have done for her own children, because they did not require it. At least not as teens. She had to re-parent me in many regards. At the time, I did not always appreciate it. But I was walking through a kimono exhibit in Sasebo Japan and looking at Japanese fiber art, at age 29, and looked at the kimonos, part painted, part applique, part embroidery in massive, expensive silk forms. The silk alone was beautiful, but what the artists do, and how Emma would have loved them. I realized how much she had taught me. The fact that I recognized the teqniques alone is astounding, but it was due to Emma. But this example illustrates what she has meant to me. I absorbed not only art forms, but learned about motherhood, about duty, about honor and about kindness. Simple, basic, kindness. She never could tell a joke, but I love it when she gets a chuckle out of herself and says, "wouldn't that be fun" with an impish grin. She made me the most pleated (amazing with a striped pattern and all the pleats lined up and played peek-a-boo when I moved) and straight dress, in simple lines...when I first became her foster daughter. She was determined that I should be modest, and have my own style. It was a one of a kind, just like Emma.

Don't clean the floors or do anything, Emma taught me to clean and I shall make good work of cleaning after the kids and I just want it easy for your girls and Ted. Dear Ted. I will be there tomorrow and there is always "fluff and fold"...he doesn't know how to use a washer because for YEARS Emma did not have one...she hauled our laundry to the laundry mat and did it all at once, with multiple machines at the ready. I laugh, and I am grateful. I just read the blog, and I am so grateful to all the friends who posted and the Herculean effort I know it is taking for Shenna to maintain it. She couldn't deliver a punchline, but she never stopped trying and that is also an example of her work ethic. I chuckle. She makes me smile.

Andrea Vahey

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.