Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Christmas Nazi".

I was reading another person's thoughts, about the Christmas tree.  I don't know that I spent a Christmas with the Allebes family, but the story about Reaka and her pink bulb is quite funny.  I too, must have gotten by association Emma's need for "themed trees".  In our family we had photos year after year, framed in gold, as we were a military family, we had many friends and family far away so every Christmas, our tree was filled with gold frames of our friends and family, with other ornaments that were a certain shade of red (Oh, this is Emma), and gold, with the exact right lights of goldy-white.  The entire house was festooned, but our tree had random ornaments at the back.  My children call me (affectionately I hope) "The Christmas Nazi" because all must be perfect, and all must be beautiful. Emma, again.  Her influence has gone much further than I realized.  In her home is a Japanese-inspired piece of art that has led me to collect Japanese fiber art.  I hang my kimonos the same way she hung hers and it is amazing to me how much I learned while being her most rebellious, difficult project.  I am in the right place, at the right time to render a little service to this dear woman.  I did not realize how much influence she had, on me, my home and my children...but my daughter took one look as a grown woman and said, "now I understand".  Bless her for coming to be with me, my dear daughter Kirsten, and bless the Allebes family for letting that happen.  It meant the world to me.  So many things I know how to do, because of them, gardening, sewing (a little bit, but I know how to instruct a tailor, and iron, Emma would let me help her by ironing), cooking, and CARING.  These people were my first instruction on care.  Basic care, for their testimonies, their family, home, and LIFE. What lives they have lived!!!!  What a family. What diginity and grace they have shown.  I gave all those ornaments to my daughter, and now I have a blue and white and silver tree.  Emma would love it, and she would love that my table cloths, dishes and wrapping paper coordinate.  Not that she would not appreciate random styles from others but she would sigh and say: "At last she has learned", about me.  It was sacred to be HERE, at this time.  I am so grateful.  Thank YOU for the blog, the memories and all the dear friends who posted.  I have witnessed how it has heartened the whole family, but in particular, my beloved Ted.  He is...Ted.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. 
 
~Andrea Vahey, foster daughter and friend.


Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.