Sunday, October 4, 2009

I can still hear Emma's laugh

I was out of town when I heard the news this past Friday.  I am so saddened by this development.  The "how come" and "why" questions are racing through my mind and heart.  I wish I were there to share in the many memories that are surely being passed around right now.  It would be just like a homecoming – and would be another great addition to the thousands of memories I have visiting with Emma (Sister Allebes) and the family.

 

Shenna, you are a loyal daughter to keep us all informed.  Thank you.  Reaka, I will call you very soon.

 

I don't remember if Emma said "no" when Reaka and I proposed a shared gift from Santa Claus of a tiger.  I do remember her laughing.  She laughed a lot and I love her laugh.  It's kinda like a giggle and it makes you laugh too.  Seriously.  Reaka and I believed we could share in the raising of a tiger.  As it got bigger, we could ride it back and forth between our homes.  As the plan began to unravel, we came up with an alternative to the tiger; a golf cart.  It might have been Emma who took us to the Schwinn bicycle store on Winding Way and Sunrise.  The price tag deemed the golf cart go the way of the tiger.

 

I too remember Tijuana Torte, have the recipe, and in fact, just made it the other day.  I've made it for many an occasion.  I also have the recipe for those meringue mushrooms Shenna had at her wedding.  David Schramm and I have spoken of those evil little bites of heaven many times.  He was the one who found the recipe for me and I happily have made them for many events.  I always think of Emma on those occasions. 

 

Emma always made me feel at ease and welcome in their home.  I was there a lot.  All the sleepovers!  I loved the Allebes home and honestly, was a little more than disappointed when you moved.  Your home was a national treasure!  I do love the new home, though, and it is worthy of being on the 'parade of homes' tour every year!  I loved the artwork in your home and have taken to having original pieces in my home as well.  I envied your Christmas tree with those little delicate candles on each bough.  There were so many interesting things to look at, like those crotched gourds with twisted tentacle-like thingies on them.  My mom once washed a ton of orange towels which produced a large amount of very compacted orange lint.  She carefully removed it and took it to Emma because "she could probably make something really neat out of it".   Really neat.  That is an apt description of you, Emma, and the many things you created.  You taught me the art of crocheting bias strips of fabric into clothing, like this shaggy sweater I still have.  (I also still have some of the bias pieces of fabric – in case…..)

 

Once, at a Mother Daughter party when I was still in elementary school, Emma, you were my "mom" because my parents were out of town.  I couldn't have picked a better substitute and still remember all the extra's you did for me that day.  I even have the patchwork pillow you made for me.  You also were the creator of my temple bag, which I still have, use, and think fondly of you each time I hold it.

 

O.k., one more funny.  You didn't even question the soundness of Reaka's and my decision on the exercise sauna suit that we had hooked up to your vacuum.  What a cool mom!

 

Thank you for your constant interest in me and my life.  You are a great conversationalist and I loved talking with you.  You always knew what to ask to get the good detail.  Thank you for showing me I was loved and important.  You are loved and important to me.

To the entire Allebes family, I love you and am so, so grateful you are a part of my life.

Allison Greer Frazier  

 

 


Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.