Friday, October 2, 2009

Emma's Patience & Kindness

Twice a year the Folsom Quilt & Fiber Guild has a 5 day retreat at Zephyr Cove where we sew, quilt, laugh and bond with great women, one of the greatest being Emma!  She is definitely known as one of our "Goddesses of Quilting",.  This is a little story of how kind, patient and supportive she is -- amazing.
 
I am a totally amateur quilter, especially the quilting part.  At one retreat I was practicing my quilting on a cuddle quilt (quilts the guild gives away to needy and abused children, chemo treatment centers and others).  I had finally finished the border and was rather proud until I turned it over and found thread loops around the entire border.  Being a quitter I said "Well, I'll just cut off the border, bind it and have a bassinet quilt." 
 
Emma came over & said she wanted to take it and clean up the thread.  I protested that I couldn't let her do that, it was a mess.  Emma insisted, saying she had nothing else to do  (oh, yeah, right!) and it wouldn't take any time at all.  I finally gave in.  This was about 9:30 in the morning.  That wonderful woman sat for at least 6 hours pulling out thread, with me trying to convince her she should stop.  When she was finished she came over, presented me with the salvaged quilt, and announced with a flourish that she was also gifting me with a 230 yard ball of thread!,
 
What a friend!  At the next guild meeting for "Show & Tell"  I "told" the story and "showed the quilt and thread.  She got quite a round of applause as well as a few gasps of awe.
 
Thank you, my dear Emma.  While we have never been close, close friends, I shall miss you, your kindness, your creativeness and your profound knowledge forever.
 
My prayers and loving thoughts -  Ila Darling

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.