Saturday, October 3, 2009

I can't seem to find if this posted or not--so here it is again with an addition

Hello Shenna and family

We are all saddened by the news that our beloved Emma is ill. But I rejoice with you and your family in Emma's joining those who have gone on before her. We that remain of course in this earthly tent are saddened because our beloved wife, mother, grandmother, friend, fellow artist have gone home to be with our Lord and Master. I look forward to that day myself when there will be no more pain and suffering and yes seeing my family and friends Emma always talked about family and how important you all are to her.

I met you (Emma) many years ago at Tayo's of course. When I moved from Folsom to Fair Oaks Tayo's was a necessary stop when I needed fabrics not only for quilting but my wearable art garments. I took a creative clothing class from you in the late 90's. You talked about something called Fibonacci--some mathematical concept that I never did grasp. Though I have it recorded and some day maybe I will! There is/was something special about you, that made me want to be know you better. You are always so full of unique ideas and helpful whenever a question arrived, and believe me I have had many a time when I needed your advice. The last one was when I called and a quilt had been skewed when professionally quilted. You always told me you square blocks/quilts on the floor, sometime I hope to be able to do that, though impossible in my house with a child and cat.

One time I accompanied you to an event you were speaking at. You wanted a traveling companion. I can’t tell you how frightened I was coming home. You kept dozing off. I asked you if you wanted me to drive and you said “no”. You said just keep talking to me and then you rolled down the window. I of course was the obedient child and did exactly as you said.

As time went on, I became a competitor in wearable art. As a non professional I did not have to compete with you, but share the stage with you. As time went on eventually I did have to compete with you and boy was I honored! Emma, you always made the nervous time of waiting to pass quickly because of your humor, not only at the Folsom guild challenges, but at Paducah fashion show. Emma's, you are always so welcoming and friendly. You are tactfully outspoken too, no mincing words.

When the little circle group formed, it was going to be such an honor to be in a group with the famous Emma Allebes! Every time our group met at your home, you are so hospitable. We created a breast cancer auction quilt in your studio under your direction. Your wearable art on the mannequins show how proud you are of your work. Though there was humbleness and a history lesson when asked about each piece. Each time we took a tour of your garden I was amazed at how bountiful and big it was. It was like walking thru the Garden of Eden itself. I always loved kicking off my shoes because the grass was so plush.


I have always admired your precision work. The great lengths you took to coordinate shoes with outfits. To increase show and tell at the guild you gave away a pair of socks each month. I will remember your signature checkerboard borders or bindings.

You leave a legacy of character, a love for others and power in the faith you possess. This is a legacy that will last and carry all who know you till we see you again.

Susan Patzer-Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.