Friday, November 6, 2009

More notes from Mom's friends....

To the family of Emma,

I just want to send my thanks and gratitude to you for the hundreds of evenings and many thousands of hours Emma spent with the quilting community - which necessarily means hours away from you.

I first met Emma in 1992, not long after moving to the Sacramento area from So. Cal. I met her at the Folsom Guild, then saw her at Tayo's and took a class from her. I heard her speak at the Pioneer Guild meeting, saw her work hanging in many shows and was very privileged to participate in a round-robin quilting project with her - which means I have a little piece of her (work) hanging in my home.

Her heart and her life live on through me and hundreds of other quilters who learned from her. She was a gift to us all, and I am grateful to you all for sharing her so generously. Her smile, her humor, and that twinkle in her eye will not be forgotten.

With Love, Alex Enneking

PS - I love the story about Emma making the prom dress from a parachute (her Dad's from the War?)!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ted & Family -

The hard part is life goes on after a dear one departs. The sure testimony of the resurrection and eternity together makes it bearable. We ahre your commitment to that testimony. We pray the Lord bless you and keep you 'til you meet again.

John & Anita Ramey


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ted - you and Emma have been such a blessing in my life. You are both such 'giving' people. I have never known anyone as talented as you and Emma. I know our Heavenly Father sees Emma as an 'Elect Lady'.

Love, Joyce Fox


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Ted - I found comfort in this poem. I hope you also will find some comfort. My prayers are with you - Margaret Morgan

MISS ME - BUT LET ME GO...

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me.
I want no rites in a gloom filled room,
Why cry for a soul set free.
Miss me a little - but not too long,
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me - but let me go.

For this is a journey that we all must take,
And each must go alone.
It's all part of the Master's plan,
A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart,
Go to the friends we know.
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds,
Miss me - but let me go....


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


from the October Gypsy Traders October Newsletter:

As 15 members of our Gypsy Traders gathered at the Memorial Service for our own Emma Allebes, I realized as we met, we are indeed a family.

We have been so graciously received by Ted and Emma into their home for many Board Meetings and luncheons and have listened to some choice and humorous stories about their family, Emma's pride in Ted's beautiful art work as displayed throughout their home and our amazement in the wonderful needlework creations displayed as well. Her sewing studio alone is a paradise to stitchers. Anyone would feel comfortable and welcome there with such a wonderful hostess. Emma was the person to step up when no one else would take the position --- Program Chair, President --- or a last minute hosting of a Board Meeting.

She has left a great impact on many people and I cannot imagine 'Gypsys' without her.

Varene Teresi, Corresponding Secretary


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Ted - The memorial service for Emma was wonderful, and we know she would have approved. You have a loving, caring family, and we're sure that they've been such a strength to you at this very difficult time. From one day to the next we really never do know what will happen to our loved ones or us, and how important it is to appreciate every single day that we have. They're truly a gift.

We were in Oregon for several days and learned about Emma's illness when we returned from our trip. We were shocked, to say the least, how this transpired so quickly. I had the flu for pretty much an entire week and therefore couldn't get over to see Emma after she came home from the hospital. Had I been well I would have stopped by or at least sent food, which I was in no position to do. I have felt so sad at Emma's passing. I don't think I can ever go into a fabric store, see a quilt, or remember some of the many events she had overseen without thinking about her.

Emma was an incredibly talented woman. She just had that special flair for knowing what looked good, what was cutting-edge creative, and how to achieve the finished product.. I've loved art all my life, and I have a great appreciation for those who produce such wonderful work as Emma did. She was a perfectionist in her work, and it showed. She never settled for second best or for mediocrity in anything she undertook to do. I admired that quality in her. I always knew that if Emma was involved in any church-related project, it would be excellent.

Her work with the outfits at this year's Stake Spring Fashion Show and luncheon was amazing. She told me that she didn't like working 'in front' but preferred to be behind the scenes of this event. I was so impressed with how she fitted vintage outfits to the models, how she accessorized them, and how she mixed and matched garments so they had just the right 'look'. I know how hard she worked on this and, because I was on stage speaking and narrating, I was able to see first-hand just what she had done. The whole things wouldn't have been the same without her. The fashion show was successful because of Emma.

When I would give my monthly Relief Society lesson Emma and I had a thing about the tablecloth being straight on the table. It always bugged me to see an uneven tablecloth, and Emma and I talked about this because it bothered her too. I'd put the tablecloth on the table, and Emma would give me a signal showing me which way I needed to pull down one side or the other. She'd then give me a thumbs up motion or tell me that all was OK. One time she said, "I probably shouldn't say anything out loud during the meeting about tablecloths not being on straight, but I can hardly stand it!'. That was Emma, and I loved her for it.

When I did a presentation for the Gypsy Traders it was evident how much the members cared about Emma. People were around her, asking her questions, and you could tell how much she enjoyed this group and what they did.. Everyone seemed to know Emma, and they sought her out. I didn't realize that she had been President of the group until the night I was there, and after my presentation several people thanked me and said so many complimentary things about her. They also commented about YOUR presentation and how much they enjoyed it.

Jim and I didn't know your daughters because we weren't in the same ward when they were living at home, but how wonderful to have children who have been such a blessing to the two of you. Having successful children and grandchildren reflects dirctly on the parents, so, obviously, the two of you did something very right in their upbringing. Your son-in-law's talk at the service attested to that fact. Of course, we all make mistakes with our kids, but in a time when so many children of church members are having difficulties, it's reassuring to Jim and me that there are families like yours who are active, involved, and living the gospel. You've been a good role model for us.

Knowing what we know about eternal marriage is comforting, but it doesn't take away the sadness of the loss. President Hinckley spoke many times about how he missed Marjorie after she passed away, and he probably knew better than most of us just what lies ahead. After my mother died quite unexpectedly (age 80) and we were visiting with my dad in Southern California, he made an interesting comment. I went with him on his daily 2-mile walk, and I told him how much I missed mom even though we didn't live neaby but were fortunate to visit several times a year. We spoke often, however. I asked him what he missed most about her and I agreed with what he said. I told him that I knew how he felt because 'she was my mom'. He stopped walking and said, 'No, you really don't. It's different with me, Pat...she was MY wife'. It really was different, and something that no one can begin to understand unless they've experienced the loss themselves. I've thought about his comment many times since.

Please know you are in our prayers. Emma was in our prayers during her short illness, and how much better it is that she didn't have prolonged suffereing like many endure. So many people will miss her. Sitting in Relief Society on Sunday just wasn't the same not seeing Emma there. When I taught my lesson the day after her service I told the sisters about Emma and the tablecloth, and said I wondered who would ever replace Emma. Several sisters raised their hands.

Don't ever hesitate to call on Jim or me for anything you may need help with. We're close by (Jim works mornings), and just a phone call away. We're saddened by Emma's passing. We miss her, and we hope that the many memories of happy times together will be of comfort to you. Your loss is great, but many others, in a different way, feel her loss also. So many people loved Emma. We did.

Love, Jim & Pat Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.