Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fairfield

This was a draft of a letter Mom sent to the Fairfield Fashion coordinators to be considered for invitation to participate in their highly acclaimed yearly fashion show held at Quilt Market each Fall in Houston.  Mom participated in this 3 (or maybe 4?) years.
 
Dear.....
 
this is a cover letter to introduce myself and my slides.
 
For more than 40 years I have been an avid dressmaker, rarely making the garment exactly from the pattern.  For the last 20+ eyars, I have loved working with art to wear, using techniques that involve many types of details, weaving, piecing, pleating, applique, dyeing, etc.
 
Over the years many of my friends have urged me to apply to Fairfied with the possibility of partcipating with a garment in the Houston Fashion Show.
 
Some of those friends are Cheryl Bradkin, Ellen Mosberger, Rachel Clark, Suzie Robbins, Sally Lampi, elinor peace bailey, Mary Mashuta.
 
I have won Blue Ribbons, Best of Show, Judges Choice and Viewers Choice for many of my garments on local and State levels.  This is my first time to venture out of my state for this purpose, but I did have one of my quilts selected for the Expo 90 show in Japan.
 
The following information I leave with you concerning my slides.
 
Thanking you for your consideration
 
I remain - Emma Allebes
 

 
Here's a few of the write-ups she sent along with the slides....
 
'Sunflowers - Van Gogh'  (one of her best know wearable art pieces) I made this jacket when the 100th anniversay of Van Gogh's death was being celebrated.  The sunflowers in two sizes were my inspiration.  The mosaic portrait on the back has 3050 pieces.  25 different shades of black, grey and white were used.  Three yellow and black prints were added for interest in the front.  I did add a bit of green as my husband said 'every flower needs a little green.'
 
'Freeway Crunch' - Carol Lane's vest/coat pattern. This coat was made to hang in a show in San Francisco to celebrate the 1st Anniversary of the Earthquake.  By pleating the fabric the cars became crunched.  This garment won 'Best of Class' in the California State Fair Wearable Art Exhibit in 1990
 
'In the Garden' - This garment was made to accompany the 'Evolution of the Tomato Quilt' I made that was selected for the Expo 90 show in Japan.  Piecing, applique, cut-away applique and handquilting techniques were used.
 
'Don't Worry, Be Happy' - My own design forj acket and pants..  This was a challenge garment for a guild I belong to.  The plaid didn't have periwinkle in it so I painted it in.  The tiny gingham check which most people tosssed out, became very effective as the piping.  I won the grand prize.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.