Wednesday, November 11, 2009

another group of cards and letters to mom....

 

Dear Allebes Family,

 

It is with sad hearts that we send this card. Our friend, Emma, belonged to Daughters of Utah Pioneers for many years, serving in many capacities – most recently elected as secretary in Sept. 2009. The “Daughters” of Mormon Island Camp are honored to donate money in Emma’s name to our current project of erecting a permanent Eagle Scout plaque at the Pioneer cemetery in Sloughhouse, CA.

 

We will miss our dear, talented friend, Emma Allebes.

         

Lovingly,   D.U.P. Mormon Island Camp Daughters  


 

Dear Ted and family,

 

All my love and best wishes – Emma was a dear friend. I loved her and miss her too.

 

Love,  Mary Eldredge 


 

Ted, Shenna, Heather, Reaka,

 

Time has a way of healing the sorrow that you feel now. The Comforter will surely give you that assurance that you and Emma will always be together,

 

All my love,  Bruce (Williams) 


 

Dear Allebes Family,

 

I am so sorry about the loss of Emma to your family and to the community at large. Every month during our carpool to Gypsy Traders, Emma was the spark that kept the conversation going so that we were there before we knew it.  We heard all about Ted’s art work, garden, her daughters, grandchildren, her projects, the ring she wore from her sister who  died  young, and the deep love she had for all of you. It is going to be a very quiet ride without her.

 

I remember when Emma, Cynthia Caroff and I went to the Paducah quilt show together. I am pretty quiet in the morning until I have had my first cup of coffee and have read the newspaper.  Not Emma. No matter how early I got up; Emma was out, her usual cheerful self, full of ideas for the day, and wanting to talk. Cynthia meditated and there wasn’t much paper there to read. It was a struggle for me to be pleasant and make conversation, but Emma didn’t give up on me and later we could laugh about it. Emma loved problems because she always had solutions. Just a few weeks ago she helped with a quilt I am making for my sister who has breast cancer. I showed her the fabrics and plans I had for a baby quilt for my new grandchild that is due Nov. 8. I am so very sad she won’t be here to share in my joy and excitement when the time comes.

 

I will miss her so very much but she will always be a part of my life. I treasure the vest that she made and thank you for the kindness you showed all of us.

 

Sincerely,   Joanna Schwilk


  

Dear Ted,

 

We will truly miss Emma. She was one of those people that you look for whenever we go to a church function. She always had a smile and kind words to say. She was always concerned and caring about friends and family.

 

You, Ted, and Emma will always be a great example of service to us. It was an honor to model some of Emma’s dresses in a couple of fashion shows one year. I will always treasure that experience. We love Emma and will cherish our memories of her.

 

With much love,

Brian and Sandy Everett 


 

Dear Ted and family,

 

There are truly no words to adequately express the deep sorrow we feel for you in the passing of your beloved Emma. What a shock and immeasurable loss for all. Our reflections of Emma, are of a most beautiful (inside and out), genuine, kind, and God gifted person. Her passion for the arts combined with her splendid creativity was a true gift and most inspiring to all. Ted, I know you always said, “Emma made you a better man.” While this might be true, I know your honorable, steadfast, incredible, and supportive nature made Emma’s essence radiate and shine ever so brightly. What a team you made and what a gift you were for each other.

 

How blessed Emma was to be surrounded by such a loving, devoted and wonderful family.  I am sure as she fought and accepted her illness with such grace and courage; you were all truly the wind beneath her wings. The incredible legacy she leaves behind in your beautiful daughters Shenna, Reaka, Heather and all of your precious grandchildren will preserve her memory always.

 

May the many cherished and treasured memories you shared sustain you always and bring you peace until one day you are all reunited once again. Our heartfelt love and prayers are embracing you ever so tightly.

 

God bless you,  Tierney and John


 

Dear Ted,

 

We are all so sorry to hear of Emma’s passing. We have admired you both for many years. You have been a great example to us by the way you live your life and have raised your wonderful family.

 

Love,   Dave and Shauna Boyce 


 

Ted,  

 

 My thoughts and prayers will be with your family, Saturday, as you celebrate Emma’s life. I have to be out of town this weekend.

 

Blessings to all of you,  Vera Jones 


  

Ted and girls,

 

My deepest sympathy goes out to all of you at this time of Emma’s passing. I know what you’re going through and my prayers go out to you. The only comfort we have is to know that we’re in the hands of our Heavenly Father and He will guide us in a path to see our loved ones again. God be with you all.

 

Love always, Connie Huss 


 

Dear Ted and family,

 

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Emma was an inspiration to all of us – especially in the Circle of Friends. I’m sorry I had to miss her services. I was in Houston at the International Quilt Festival, constantly thinking of her!

 

With heart-felt sympathy,   Peter and Judy Snook


 

Ted,

 

Emma was such a kind gentle, talented lady. She will be missed by all who were privileged to know her.

 

Love and prayers,  Doris Condos (student) 


 

Ted,

 

George and I are so saddened to hear of Emma’s fast passing to her “next home”. She was beautiful inside and out. Everything she touched was a unique work of art! I’ll miss her amazing green detailed dress and the little green shoes. Emma will be forever missed!

 

Love,   Bethanie Erickson 


Emma,

 

I want to know how honored I felt to know you. You have always got a beautiful smile and a kind word. You were always willing to help with sewing problems. What a beautiful presence.

 

Sincerely,   Bobbie Nauer 


 

Dear Emma,

 

I am remembering you and your creativity since the quilt class you taught in the 70’s.

 

Blessings,  Blanche Wood 


 

Emma,

 

Not the same without you here – we miss your smile.

 

Denise Schmidt


 

Hi Emma,

 

Thinking of you and remembering your beautiful creations.

 

Ruth 


 

 Ted,

 

So sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. How wonderful that your family was able to spend the last hours sharing with her. May the Lord be with you.

 

See you soon,   Joyce (Boyer) 


 

 Dear Brother Allebes (and family),

 

My mother told me of the passing of your wife last night. I’m glad that she was able to be at home with her family around her. I will never forget the evening we had with your family and you taught us the round “Fish and Chips and Vinegar”. We have sung that in our family ever since. Although Sister Allebes has moved on in her progression, her memories live on with us. Please accept my sincerest condolences and know that you are in my prayers.

 

Sincerely,  Troy Johnson (John and Marilyn’s oldest son) 


 

 Dear Ted,

 

I’d like to express my deepest sympathy for the loss of your wife Emma. She has been your “other half” for a long time and both have created a wonderful family.  My prayers are with all of you.

 

See you at watercolor class,  Celia 


 

 Dear Ted and family,

 

We express our heartfelt sympathy to you in the passing of Emma.   We know what a loss it is for you at this time, but how wonderful it is knowing you will be together again for all eternity. Emma was a special lady and will be missed by her many friends, not only in the church, but throughout the whole community.

 

Love,  Grant and Roberta Neilsen


 

Emma was a very special and talented Lady and we will miss her at our Gypsy Traders club.

 

Sincerely,  Kathy Lunger 


 

Dear Ted and family,

 

We will always cherish and hold dear to our hearts those memories of beautiful Emma. She was a remarkable woman. We will miss her loving and warm presence.  Our thoughts and prayers surround you.

 

Love,  Ralph and Shelley Haak 


 

Dear Ted and family,

 

I knew Emma through the “Network for Wearable Art” and she will be missed. My prayers are with you and the family.

 

Pam Mason

 

 Life – by Wm. Arthur Ward

 

The adventure of life is to learn.

The purpose of life is to grow.

The nature of life is to care.

The essence of life is to overcome.

The opportunity of life is to serve.

The secret of life is to dare.

The spice of life is to befriend.

The beauty of life is to give.

The joy of life is to love.

 

I do believe that Lady Emma touched all the bases and knew the secret to how to live her life to the full measure.

 

Words on Emma are difficult to express, as there were so many facets to her personality and interests. We got to know each other with chats and story talk on rides together to River City Guild or Folsom or Circle of Friends. Emma made an impression on many people and made a permanent place in our memory bank.

 

Sincerely,

Ardis  Naur Normanly and Jerry Normanly


  

Miss Emma,

 

I just love you so much. I have grown up thinking of how wonderful of a woman you are. Our family has looked to your family for so much love over the years and support. Thank you for being a wonderful example to me growing up! I love you and wish you the best!         Love, Faith

 

 

We love you! Thank you for being so nice to Grace and I!        I love you! Emily

 

 

I love you so much! I’ve known you all my life. You are amazing and wonderful. We miss you. I love you soooo much!     Love always, Grace

 

 

Thank you for being such a nice person that you are. You are a great example to all of us. With all my thankfulness.

 

Love, Anatole and family

 

 

Thank you for your loving example and all your service to our family. Thank you for your hugs and love to our children. Thank you for all that you are. We love you and will miss you but we will meet again. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

 

Love, Louise Huwlesky  


 

Dear Emma,

 

We are very sorry to hear that you are ill. You have been such a valuable part of the River City Quilters.  Not only have you always been ready to help out, you have such an extraordinary talent and a real way with fabric. We have greatly appreciated your warm, friendly, spirit and generous personality. We hold you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

 

Love,   Kari Bauer , River City Quilters Guild 


Dear Emma,

 

I am so sorry to hear you are in the hospital. I hope there is a quilt in the room. We just returned from Texas and when we changed planes in Albuquerque I thought of you and your visits there and how nice it looked from the air. I felt Lori’s tummy and felt my granddaughter kick. Pretty exciting for us. I am thinking about you and praying for you. I know you are in good hands.

 

Love,  Jeanna


 

We hope that you will not suffer and wish you the best under these circumstances. Very best wishes to you and your family.

 

Gary and Cliff


 

Emma,

 

It is an honor to have you as a teacher and a friend. You are always an inspiration.

 

Love always,  Jeanie Trojan 


 

Dear Emma,

 

You are also in my thoughts and prayers. I know Heavenly Father is watching over you. I was just reading in Joshua 1:9 this morning: “Be strong and of a good courage, be not afraid, neither be though dismayed, for the Lord they God is with thee withersoever thou goest.” You are a dear sister who has given so much.

 

Much Love,  Connie Kloepfer 


 

Dear Emma,

 

What better common thread than wearable art and quilts! We spent lots of time talking in the car as we traveled to meetings – in fact, if you remember, we were talking so intently that we drove 20 miles past our exit! We were late that day! What a journey with you – first at the Marin Needlearts and Quilt Show in 1992, Guild program (San Luis Obispo when I was living there). Network for Wearable Art, SAQA and of course, our Fairfield Fashion Shows. Dave and I probably wouldn’t have bought our house in Fair Oaks in 2001 if I hadn’t run into you at Tayo’s when we ere beginning our search. You and Ted are such a special couple – very nurturing and talented as well!

 

Love,  Noelle and Dave (Noelle Tamborini – Olson) 


 

Dear Emma and Family,

 

Just wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you all. I have grown to love and appreciate Shenna’s talents, testimony and faithfulness and I know she is this way because of her mother and father.

 

Emma – I have always admired you and the many gifts you have shared with others. Your use of your talents has brought joy to my life and many, many others. When I think of my “Fair Oaks” friends your family is counted among them and I am blessed to have been associated with you. I know my parents feel the same as I do. I will always remember the baby shower you had at your home for me and my twins – it meant so much to feel the love and support of you Fair Oaks ladies. I still have the little blue dolls you made for my boys. They loved them and I treasure them.

 

With love,  Julie (Price) Andersen 


 

Dear Emma,

 

About 3 weeks ago I had a dream about you. I was going to tell you about it but I neglected to do it as the business of life took over. I dreamed I was walking onto a large open grassy area and there were lots of people. Then I saw you and such a feeling of love and gratitude enveloped me as we hugged each other. I saw  you as my sister and friend. The feeling was so intense that it woke me up.

 

We’ve known each other for such a long time and I want you to know how much I admire and love you and Ted.  You are mighty pillars and I appreciate your example of Christ-like service and living. While I was leaving the temple last night, I found out that you were diagnosed with leukemia. I am so sorry and my heart breaks for both of you. You are in my prayers that you will have the strength to face the new challenges before you. I will be glad to do anything I can for you.

 

With my love,  Kathy Laret 


 

Emma,

 

Many thoughts and heartfelt prayers were sent to you (and Ted) at church today. I’m sure many more will be offered by family and your many friends as you work your way through this most recent (but not the first) Refiner’s fire.

 

Illness and pain are difficult but they do, ultimately, strengthen us in ways few others challenges can. May this difficult time be resolved in a way that allows for complete healing. Sometimes we emerge with a “challenged” physical body but an ever-stronger faith and spirit.

 

Love,  Kay Kane 


Hi sweet Emma,

 

We were all shocked to hear that you were in the hospital. I’ve never known you to be sick for even a day. I do so hope that you’ll be feeling tip-top soon and be back among all of us who love you. I’m certain that Ted is being very caring. You are in my prayers everyday.

 

Lots of love,  Jane Kadie 


 

 Dearest Emma,

 

Your friendship has enriched our lives. You  are so open to new ways of being creative and so supportive of our endeavors. We have so enjoyed your trips up to the studio with Ted along to keep us company. You have been a wonderful patroness! We treasure our SAQA carpool rides together and your entertaining stories, not to mention your amazingly colorful wardrobe! We hope we can pass on the generosity you so lovingly bestowed on us.

 

Your friends,  Kris Pazaki, Deb Cashatt – the Pixieladies 


 

Dearest Emma,

 

I have loved and cherished your friendship from the moment we met. There was so much warmth in your lovely hand when you greeted me. I am grateful for our Gypsy meetings because of our drives together. I was always amazed by your stamina and generosity in traveling so often to display and share your works or wearable art. With the help of your wonderful Ted you made several presentations per month, always with joy. On our monthly drive I looked so forward to hearing about your amazing family and our mutual joys of being mothers and grandmothers.

 

Dinner at your home was  not only delicious but very warm and neighborly. We were so honored, Ralph and I, to be a guest at your table. Visiting with you and Ted was like being in a beautiful museum filled with the most extraordinary artwork and family treasures.

 

Thank you for sharing Christmas table settings at Gypsy Traders, for always saying “yes” to a second Presidency, a chair position and an open helping hand. I know you considered me a friend when you allowed me to share my vintage clothing, hat’s, mannequins, and life’s joys and challenges. Your voice, the sweetness of your personality, the grace in all your wisdom, the love you share with Ted and all who know you will stay forever in my heart.

 

Love,  Rhonda Barrett 


 

Dearest Emma,

 

I know that this is an extremely difficult time not only for you, but for everyone who loves you and cares about you – you are blessed to have so many who do. Ever since I learned of your diagnosis my every thought has been of the many wonderful quilt retreats I have been able to share with you – I am so blessed to have been your roommate each time. I want to see you so very much but I understand that might not be possible. I will leave it up to you or your family to contact me if you have the time and feel well enough to spend a few minutes with me.

 

My prayers will be with you,  

Love,  Carolyn Monson

 


 

Emma,

 

Just wanted to say good-bye to you and thank you for your friendship. I really appreciate it. I was wondering if you could do me a favor. If you could tell Marty Close good-bye for me. I never got the chance. I want to wish you the best in your new life.

 

Love,  Sue Harris 


 

Dear Emma,

 

Our friendship goes back so many years. I couldn’t miss an opportunity to send you a card. Every once in awhile I get something out that you sold me the fabric for. Last time it was a doll dress, petticoat, etc. for a doll I made in one of Gretchen’s classes. There are many more. You certainly have a presence in my sewing projects!

 

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You are fortunate to have them, as they are with you.

 

Fondly,  Pat Barrett


  

Dear Emma,

 

I am so sorry you are struggling with such a challenge. May the Lord bless you and comfort you!

 

Love,  Mary Cooper


 

Emma,

 

When we had a need you prayed for us specifically, now it’s our turn to pray for you and your family. Since Dean works in school and people come into the office where I work sick, we could be carriers. We won’t come by the house so we don’t “share” any germs. We will be thinking of you.

 

Love,  Maryan and Dean

 

P.S. Emma, I enjoyed being your personal shopper. 


 

Emma,

 

You have been a real inspiration

 

Sandi McCaski 


 

Emma,

 

We are glad that you are surrounded by your family at this time. Your quilting friends are sending you our love and hugs.

 

Mairy


 

Hi Emma,

 

I just wanted to tell you how much I admired your quilts and creations in the years that I have been with the River City Guild. You are so creative and talented. I did the quilt “Room Tour” a few years ago and seen your beautiful home, yard, sewing room and the “girls” in the bathroom. It was such a pleasure, that I will always remember. Thank you so much.

 

Sincerely,  Ruth Schindler


  

Dear Emma,

 

You have influenced me so much over the years in your quilting. I have admired your work and your dedication to your family, church and talent. What a model you have been. Thanks for all your hard work.

 

 Love,  Bev Hendrickson


 

Dear Emma,

 

It is devastating to learn of your illness. I must tell you that I always look forward to seeing your wonderful clothing creations. Your talent inspires everyone. I send encouragement and comfort.

 

Sincerely,  Eleanor Mitchell


  

Dear Emma,

 

This short note is to tell you I’m thinking of you. For many years, I’ve enjoyed attending the State Fair. My first stop was always to see your entries. Viewing your creative wearable art impressed me year after year and enriched my life. You are a lovely and talented lady. It’s a joy to know you.

 

Your Gypsy Friend,  Vicki Mackintosh


 

Dearest Emma,

 

Few people can touch others the way you have. I’m so lucky to have known you personally. The image of you in your “Taxi” outfit, with your sweet smile and twinkle in your eyes will be with me always.

 

Fondly,  Mary Ann Hooker 


 

 

Dear Emma,

 

I recently heard that the most often asked question from those leaving life here on earth was “did I love well and was I loved?” How peaceful for you to answer yes to both questions. All at Folsom Quilt and Fiber Guild send you their love and appreciation. My personal best wishes and gratitude to you and your generous giving of yourself and your talents.

 

Geayne Verkees 


  

Dear Emma,

 

I’m so sorry to hear that you are ill. So many of your fellow quilters are sending positive thoughts in your direction. I hope you can feel that happy energy.  You are an artist of some stature, and one that I look up to. I look forward to seeing your next amazing creation!

 

Fondly,  Barbara Confer


  

Hi Emma,

 

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers…also know how much you are loved, and respected. If you or your family need anything, please call.

 

Love,  Juanice Hess


 

Emma,

 

Our love and prayers are with your family. You have made our lives more beautiful.

 

Love and hugs,  Larry and Sue Field


 

Emma,

 

We wanted to let you know we are thinking and praying for you and your family.  You and Ted have been a light for all around you. I remember when I was the activity girl leader. You sought me out to share an activity that your daughter did with the girls in her ward. I was so impressed that you had taken the time to find out who had that calling and share. You always help those around you and encourage them in whatever their calling was. May the Lord bless and keep you.

 

John and Anita Ramey


 

Dear Emma,

 

I am so sorry to learn of your illness.  Know you are in my prayers and probably all of your Gypsy Traders that know of your problem. Your “we can do it” attitude was evident from the day you joined and I can recall coming to your house to work on Christmas party favors. You were always generous in sharing your talents and did such a good job as our club President recently. We will always remember all you did for the club. Rest easy good friend.

 

Love,  Ruth Bossenmaier G.T.


 

 Dear Ted and Emma,

 

We want to let you know you are in our players at this time. With you, we know the great peace and comfort Father in Heaven can send through the Holy Spirit, and it is for this we ask of behalf of you and your family. What wonderful thoughts and memories we share over the many years of our friendship. We have always noticed the stalwart persistence you both have shown in living the Gospel. It has always been clear that you love the Lord.

 

We admire the great example of your friendshipping and kindness toward others as you serve and share the Gospel in word and deed. We have loved serving in the ward missionary work together and have been inspired by your example. You are very special people.

 

Please know of our love,  Paul and Juli Basilius and family


  

Dear Emma,

 

I’m having trouble finding words… Just know you’re in my thoughts. I will always remember the many pleasant and educational times I spent with you. Thank you for always being so willing to share your rare talents with the rest of us!

 

Hugs,  Carol Baker


 

Dear Emma,

 

We really missed you last month at our DUP meeting; it is not the same without you being there. I am sorry that you have been ill and in so much pain. I hope this finds you feeling a lot better! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that each day will bring you comfort and peace of mind. We love and miss you, Emma. May God bless you each and every day.

 

Love,  Bev Tueller


 

Dear Ted and Emma,

 

We just wanted you to know how much we have appreciated your friendship. I think you and Emma were one of the first people to say hello at the ward. I know you were the first to invite us to your home. Each time our paths have crossed, we have come away feeling uplifted and inspired to do more good. It is not very often that we have an opportunity to rub shoulders with such valiant people as you.

 

I hope you know Emma that you will be missed and your thoughtful  diligent example will be remembered by us and many others. Ted, our thoughts and prayers are with you both at this most difficult of times. We were also touched by your acceptance of this situation; another wonderful example and lesson for us all

 

Love,  Ross, Liz and all the Stewart clan


  

Dear Emma and family,

 

As you already know, you are such a special lady and John and I are wishing the very best for you.

 

Love,  One of your many Gypsy Trader friends,  Mandie Fossette


 

Dear Emma,

 

Although I’ve only been in Gypsy’s a few years, I have so much appreciated your friendliness and sense of humor. I loved the story you told about trying to keep it a secret from your husband that you were president (again) of our organization! Of course, your beautiful quilts and wearable art have been a “feast for the eyes” and the sour too! Thank you for being you!

 

Sincerely,  Judy Conroy


 

I love you, Emma! It is “plane” (image of airplane) to see that I think you are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

 

Love,  Terry Ryan 


  

Dear Ted and all your family,

 

Last night was a hard night for me to go to Gypsy Traders and not have my Gypsy friend, Emma riding with me. Our drives together were always fun to hear what she had been up to in the previous month or what was going to happen in the coming month. Last month she told us all about the solar cooking you had with a group of your friends. Emma was remembered in our meeting last night by kind words and by the display of one of her beautiful wall hangings. I have always admired Emma’s zest for life and this showed in her loves – her love of you, Ted, and her whole family - her great faith in the Lord and her church life. It also showed in her fantastic talent of her sewing and her quilts. I have always been amazed at how she could accomplish so much.

 

The one thing that I will always remember about Emma was how soft-spoken she could be and yet what wonderfully colorful outfits and shoes she wore. She is indeed a jewel. I know she is in the Lord’s hands and He is showing His love for her. Your family is in my prayers this week and I know God will sustain all of you.

 

Sincerely,  Vera Jones


 

 Ted,

 

We’re so sorry to hear of your loss. We hope you can find some comfort by remembering all the good times you two had together over the years. You and your family are in our thoughts.

 

Your neighbors,  Susie and Charlie Trapp


  

Emma,

 

Sorry to hear of your illness. I hope it brings you comfort to know that you have many friends who are keeping you in their prayers.

 

Love,  Pat Rowell


  

Ted and Family,

 

Please enjoy this dinner as you gather together and share your love of Emma, a wonderful lady. We will miss her greatly.

 

Much love,  The Kensington Manor neighbors


  

Dear Emma,

 

We have been greatly distressed to learn of your serious illness. You are such a very valued friend. We have precious memories of times we’ve spent with you and your family. You have brightened our lives and made them much more interesting through your great talents. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

 

Much love,  Joanne, Fenton, Jean and Dave (Williams)


 

Dear Allebes family,

 

We wanted you all to know that Emma has been a pillar in our lives. She has created such clever, interesting, unusual items that have challenged the “everyday” crafter of quilts to the “enth” degree. By her side she has been an artist too who has pushed her creativity “over the top”. You both have contributed so much to other people and enriched lives both in and out of the church. Thank you for all you do and have done.

 

We want to also thank you for that wonderful gift you gave to Jean. She came home and had to model it. Then she took it off and said, “Look at those log cabins, each one is different. I learned how to make log cabin squares from Emma. Emma taught me how to make those. Look at that beading - everywhere. It is just beautiful. Look at how beautifully it is lined. It even has her hand signed name inside. It should really go in a museum so everyone could enjoy it. Oh I love it. I am not going to wear it…yes I am. I love it.”

 

Thank you for that precious gift. It is so beautiful. It is so generous. It is so Allebes.

 

Love,  Fenton and Joanne (Williams) 


 

Dear Emma,

 

I heard some sad news a few days ago and I want to write you a love note. The first SAQA meeting I came to I met you and thought what a dear  lady you were. From that first meeting, I have looked forward to seeing you at SAQA meetings and enjoying your sweet comments and darling smile.

 

My prayers are with you now and I send you all my love. I trust the Lord will carry you now as you conquer this time in your life and that the Lord will welcome you home in His time.

 

Love,  Marjorie Johnson


 

 

 

Dear Emma,

 

I know your time is slipping away but I wanted to let you know that you were a big influence on my quilting abilities. For my first quilt, I purchased the fabrics from Tayo’s and that is how I first met you. I had the privilege of being a member of the Folsom Quilt Guild with you for over twenty years and your indirect guidance and influence has washed over me and guided me throughout the years. I loved seeing your creativity expressed in a myriad of ways from dolls to clothing to quilts and more. I never told you this, but you were my mentor. Your use of color, your creativity, your attention to detail, your clever solutions to problems have all been absorbed by me, your student and will guide my work forever.

 

Of all the quilts you have created, my favorite is your variation of Grant Wood’s “American Gothic”. For me, it sums up your sense of humor and whimsy.  I love the wacky colors, the voluminous shirts, and the striped pants. It makes me smile and then laugh out loud. I have always been a huge fan of Grant Wood and when I discovered that you loved his work too, I felt a connection with you. I loved participating in your annual Art Challenges at the Folsom Guild. It was my favorite part of the show. I got to play with ideas, designs and fabric and I loved seeing how you responded to the challenge. Everyone who participated in the Art Challenge grew in new ways and we have you to thank.

 

Even this year, when I missed the deadline to renew my Folsom membership and I was put on the waiting list, I wondered if I should continue with my challenge quilt. You kept encouraging me and pushing me along. I love your energy, your enthusiasm, your youthfulness, and your fun. Whenever I run into you at a quilt meeting, I have to see what you are wearing (socks and all) and I want to hear what you have been up to.

 

My mother, Ann deWitt, sends you her memories of the times you spent with her in the fiber arts group. She fondly remembers all the clever, fun, wearable art classes that she took from you. Although she resides in an assisted living facility today, one of the jackets she still wears was made in an “Emma” class.

 

In the quilts I have made recently, I have included my “Emma” border. I make a checkerboard of nine-patches on two adjacent sides of my quilt and in this way I honor my mentor, Emma. Your lessons will never be forgotten and we all will carry you in our hearts forever.

 

Until we meet again,  Hugs from Mairy deWitt Guthleben


  

Dearest Emma,

 

You have always made me grin. When you enter a room you catch my eye with your sweet smile and your wonderful artistically crafted garments.

 

Unlike the “punk”

With purple and green hair

Black, black, and more black

And studs everywhere!

 

Emma steps out of a magical “trunk”

Fanciful, whimsical, ornate

Color, color, and more color

Inspiring all to want to create!

 

When I first stepped into your home I took away with me a little glimmer of “Emma”, a warm feeling of being made welcome, comfortable, included, and at home. You expressed your enjoyment of my “baked beans” and said how you knew your husband would so enjoy them, so we filled a container for you to share with him later. I continued to make them for our Gypsy potlucks just for you. We had a basis to our simple friendship “the love of beans”. Of course you would not know this silly ‘something’ I thought about you. I just wanted you to know that through such a tiny friendly comment you made me your friend.

 

You have given me a gift that I hope to pass on to others; I try to be more open and welcoming, to be more like you. I have been given a small blessing to have known you for even this brief time.

 

With loving thought,  Gigi Gerber


 

Dear Emma,

 

My heart is so sad since learning that you are terminally ill with cancer. I’ve written you several letters in my mind and today I decided to sit down at my computer and write to you. It isn’t often that we have the chance to tell a friend how many times they have touched our lives and this is my time to tell you how grateful I am to have you as a friend. I’m not sure, but I think we first met in Folsom Quilt and Fiber Guild. Everyone knew who you were because of your many wonderful creative ways with a needle.

 

The card, which I made for you, is made with a rubber stamp that you gave me as a hostess gift several years ago. It was my first rubber stamp and I was thrilled to have it. You have to admit it is very pretty. I have used it many times.

 

At one of the Gypsy auctions I was the lucky winner of a jacket which you made. I wear it with such pride. I wish you could hear all the compliments that I receive when wearing the jacket. It is a work of art.

 

I so love the beautifully embroidered apron and dishtowel to match which belonged to your brother. I have displayed them many times at my home and events with the museum. They are a welcome addition to my collection and I thank you for thinking of me. You have always given from your heart and with such thoughtfulness.

 

Remember the color copies of the Walt Disney Cinderella apron styled by Penney’s that you gave to me? I scanned the picture of the cute bluebirds tying the apron on Cinderella and made invitations for a bridal shower. You didn’t know it, but you gave me the theme for the shower. Everyone loved the invitation. At tea-time, I gave everyone their teacup turned upside down. When they turned the cup over there was a chocolate mouse. And what made the theme so fun was that the bride-to-be looks a lot like Cinderella.

 

I loved going to F.Q.&F.G. when you were the President. You shared your stories about family and friends. We were all in stitches --- the laughing stitches. Your stories are always told with a twinkle in your eyes and a beautiful smile. You made us all feel so pleased with life and our gathering together. And you were a fabulous leader. You ended the year by giving all of those on your board an angel designed and handmade by you. Again and again you give from your heart. All those angels took hours to make.

 

Then years later at a time when no one would take on the Presidency for Gypsy Traders --- Emma came through. I don’t know if Ted ever realized you were our leader that year. Again we heard your stories told with such a sense of humor. It was a wonderful year. Remember when Rhonda did the bridal presentation. That was one of my favorite programs. I can still picture in my mind the photo of you and your dear husband Ted. Your dress with the many small ruffles, layer after layer of ruffles. All sewn with your hands for the beginning of what has been a beautiful life. You and Ted are a prime example of what a husband and wife should be to one another. I’ve seen you look at Ted with love in your eyes and pride in your smile. And Ted looks the same way to you. When Ted spoke to our Gypsies --- oh my, the value of family was the best I have ever heard.

 

When you heard me talk about my research of my family genealogy, you called and asked if you could have some young missionaries stop by with a video about genealogy. I was pleased to receive the video as a help in my research.

 

Emma, what a lovely woman you are. I only hope I can be a better person from all that you have shown to me. How thankful I am to call you my friend. You have such a loving family as so many caring friends. My thanks to Shenna for keeping us informed about you and your family.

 

Emma, you are truly an AMAZING  WOMAN. God bless you and your family. I would like very much to see you for a few minutes. I don’t want to impose because I know there will be tons of people wanting to see you also. I'm so happy that your family will be with you this weekend.

 

With love and warm hugs,  Lesley Kemp 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.