Wednesday, January 6, 2010

PHD 2008 - Fair Oaks Ward RS

Patience Humility Devotion - this was a challenge issued by the Ward RS that Mom participated in....
 
*January - select 2 sisters in the ward that you know very little about and find some way to get to know them.
 
Victoria Cassady and her husband, Dustin, moved into Fair Oaks 4th Ward in June 2008.  I sat next to her in RS and we visited, then with Ted and Dustin after church.  We invited them to dinner to our home and now Ted and I have a really nice friendship with them both. 
 
The first time I met Elvira Fontaine was when Dorothy Miller brought her to our FHE group gathering, then we visited at church.  Monday, Nov 19, we then arranged to pick her up for FHE.  Elvira is living with her sister while her husband is in Mexico relocating their job opportunity.
 
*February - write to one or more of the servicemen and missionaries serving from our ward.
 
Pam & Kellon Fwoers, who live across the street from Ted and me.  Kellon say, 'that one day he will be a missionary' is away at BYU.  We keep in touch with him through his mother, Pam.  He had a pet rabbit who he was crazy about.  This rabbit died a few weeks ago.  I was at an auction last week and a ceramic rabbit was on the silent auction table.  I bet on it and won the rabbit.  It looks much like Kellon'srabbit.  When he comes home for the holidays, I will give it to him.
 
*March - try a new recipe.  Make it or one of your favorites and take it to a family.
 
At Costco, they have wonderful foods for the customers to sample.  A chicken with a sauce dish was one we really enjoyed, so I bought it.  I didn't take it to a family, but prepared it at home and invited a young man that grew up in our neighborhood, Lance Armstrong, to join us for dinner.  We also invited John and Marilyn Johnson, as Marilyn had been Lance's Seminary teacher and had kept in touch with him.  Lance is Carla and Bob armstrong's son.
 
*April - do something extra special for your children or grandchildren.  Write what you did and how they responded.
 
As I was working on a quilt, Ted asked me, 'what is the project all about?'  I told him 'it's just for the fun of it.'  As I continued and got to thinking about his question, it was at that time I decided that as my grandchildren married they could choose any quilt that I had made, and still had, as a wedding gift.  so far three quilts have been chosen by three grandchildren who have been married.  One quilt, Ted's favorite, he wants to hid.
 
*May - start something extra special for your children or grandchildren. 
 
Over the years I have started and stopped writing my personal history.  Something always comes up to distract me.  At a Daughters of Utah Pioneers meeting, Rhea Edison was complimented on turning in her personal journal.  I called Rhea and asked if I could see how she had done hers.  She came to my home and brought her outline that she had started with.  She loaned it to me and I now have a really good feeling that I can do it.  I have made a copy of it and refer to it as I have had the time and I am trying hard to make the time. 
 
*June - fast and attend the temple 4 times this month.  Invite a sister then have lunch together.
 
Because of health issues, I am not able to attend the temple right now.  Ted goes and while he is gone I read from the Ensign, Church News or other church books, and feel comforted in my situation.  In our home we enjoy having dinner guests rather than lunch.
 
*July - provide a servie to any organization in church or community.
 
I am involved in quite a few community efforts.  I hold offices in them and try to be an example of the church.  They all seem to know that I am LDS and are very respectful of my life style, as I am of theirs.
 
*August - write a note to someone you appreciate and call a friend you haven't talked to for a long time.
 
When Victoria Gregerson was a senior in high school, (she was Vicky Welch at the time) she came to live with us.  She lived with us most of that year.  She now says, 'it wasn't long enough'.  We saw her every once in a while, and she was doing fine, active in the church and doing the right things.  Now 30 years later our friendhsip continues as she has moved into Fair Oaks 4th Ward.
 
*September - invite a less active sister to church or a church function.
 
Ted and I have been Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers to Ray and Shirley Barks for a very long time.  Shirley is a member but Ray is not.  They are so kind and love to have us come.  Over the years we have invited them often to Ward parties, to attend the State Fair and many other functions.  On Nov 14, 2008, they will attend the 'Season of Hope' concert with us.
 
*October - give a non-member a Book of Mormon and a church video with your testimony.
 
When Toni Mount was baptized in August, we were in attendance and met her husband, Vic, for the first time.  Since then they have been to our home several times and Toni especially calls and comes to me for advice on her quilting projects.  Vic cannot speak or swallow whole foods, but takes food through a tube.  I purchased a book, 'Smoothies', over 40 different recipes.  My chance to make someone happy and Toni can give him a Book of Mormon.  He was really excited and thumbing thru it as we visited in their lovely home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.