Monday, January 4, 2010

Mothers in My Life

I found these notes in a little notebook of Mom's....seems like maybe it was for a talk she gave in Sacrament Meeting on Mother's Day sometime....

 
1 - Grandmother - Emma Lindquist
Named after her
Loved her very much
Sang in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Could be sister to David O. McKay (I think this is in reference to her appearance)
She and Grandfather - tailors
She did bead work
H.S. black skirt - keyhole button, 6 skirts
 
2 - My Mother - Dagmer Edel
Born in Norway - 12 years Salt Lake City
No more sewing - pianist and wonderful secretarial skills
WWII my younger sister (Mildred) and I - grade school
 
War bases needed secretaries. My mother was Secretary to Com. Officer.  She felt bad about being away and on Friday nights she would take my sister and I to Chinese food and dinner.
 
Christmas 1942, she and my Father both had to work and we had Christmad early before they left.  My mother ordered a cab to pick my sister (Mildred) and I up and take us to Hotel Ben Lomand for Christmas lunch.  Then the cab came again and took us home.  She taught me to cook and to be a good student.  My grandmother taught me to sew.  Mom and Dad laid a firm and loving foundation for a gospel centered life. 
 
When Ted & I married another mother came into my life, Judy.  She taught me some Dutch cooking, Dutch customs, about pewter and brass and copper.  So I, along with Ted, could empahsize our childrens' Dutch heritage in our home along with the Scandinavian.
 
First day I was a mother.  Ted said it was okay to tell this story.  Need to know Ted is an only child - never seen a newborn baby.  He had seen kittens, puppies, calves, colts, rabbits born.
 
Shenna - born before noon, we had lunch together, Ted was nervous.  At 3 o'clock he was still nervous.  I looked Shenna over and at 7pm, he was still nervous.  I asked him what was wrong.  He said, "We need to decide, our baby has no teeth."  Our 3 girls have all told their pediatricians that story.
 
When Reaka was born Apr 3, she was about 1 month old on Mother's Day.  We were hustling with 3 small children, Heather 1 1/2, Shenna 4 - young mothers know how that is.  After church I rememberd sitting down at home and saying to Ted, "You can have Mother's Day.  I want Father's Day.'  After that he took care of all the needs of the children and meal prep on Mother's Day.  Today he and Shenna's husband, Brian, will prepare dinner for our families.
 
It's fun to be a Grandmother.  Became a grandmother when Shenna became a mother on Mother's Day 16 years ago.
 
When Heather's youngest daughter Lochlan was born almost3 years ago, Madison (her oldest), then 7, came to me and asked "Oma, because you were the middle one of 3 girls, and my mom was the middle one of 3 girls, does that mean Sloane, (Heather's middle girl) will have 3 girls?"  Each family has their own traditions.  Time will tell if Sloane carries that one on.
 
Most of you nkjow I design wearable art.  Last year when we were going to Albuquerque to visit Heather & Merritt, Madison asked me to bring my outfit I designed around the Yellow Cab Company.  I said 'sure'.  Guess what she did?  She took me to school for Show & Tell!  It's fun to be a grandmother.
 
Honor mother's in FO 4th Ward:
1 - Mother who smiles
2 - Mothers & Fathers who raise chilldren that smile
3 - Mothers who raise children with special needs
4 - Mothers who serve others
5 - Mothers who are really nice to neighbor children, their own children, to everyone
6 - I pray I'll always be one of these really nice mothers and remain faithful to the gospel....In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Your Emma Story?

This blog is a chance to remember and honor Emma by bringing us together in a way that can only be done through a medium like the internet. We love her, we will miss her, but she's here for a short time still, and we want to smile and cry and laugh together with her as much as possible while we can.

Emma has touched a monumental number of lives through her work as a mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, artist, and to Ted as a dear wife. There are countless stories that have already been told many times, and there are many others that we're going to learn for the first time as we read them here.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, STORIES AND PICTURES!!!

Not only will we be able to laugh and smile together, even after Emma has passed, but we will be sharing this blog with Emma. If you have a story, long or short, silly or sad, pensive or outrageous, please take some time and share it with us and Emma.

This is such a dear time for all of us. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and prayers.

It's easy! To post to Emma's blog, send an email to emmaallebes.post@blogger.com. If you have a picture(s) that you would like to add, make it an attachment to the email. Your email will post automatically.

Please remember to include your name somewhere in the email/post.